Thursday, September 18, 2014

Alfred's Do it Yourself Dog Bed

Hey yall!
So we got a new fur baby recently named Alfred. Its so funny how things work out. As yall know my schnauzer baby Tanzi got killed a month or so ago and we were completely devastated and I said that I was not going to get another dog right away. Funny how things change. A couple of days ago I get a text from my sister in law that starts off saying  Now I know you said you didn't want to get another dog right now BUT............... Seems she had a friend that was moving and had a full blooded male schnauzer named Alfred that she could not take with her. Her friend was looking for a good home for Alfred and my sister in law thought of me instantly of course because we love schnauzers so I mean I can't really blame her can I?  Hee Hee!! He is 2 years old fully potty trained and crate trained I mean come on who could pass that up I know I couldn't so guess who has a new schnauzer fur baby? Yep! This girl!! Everybody Meet Alfred!!

So after we got Alfred all settled in I wanted to get him a new dog bed to lay around on. Now I don't know if yall have price a dog bed recently but the little flat ones at Walmart are $25.00 so I was like UH No thanks I can make one way cheaper than that. Couponing has ruined me yall I can't hardly pay full price for anything now. So I just took myself over to the sewing department at Walmart and bought me this 5 pound  box of Polyester Fiberfil for $12.00


I already had some material at home so I got that out and measured it to fit what I figured would be a good size dog bed and cut me out 2 pieces.
 Lord please do not look at that nasty carpet this room has not been redone yet since we moved in EWWWWW!!!!!
Then I put my 2 pieces together with the right sides touching or with the sides that are going to be the outside of your dog bed touching and pinned it on 3 sides leaving one end side unstitched to put the stuffing in.
 
Then I sewed all 3 sides on my Brother sewing machine my mom gave me!!
 
 
It will look like this when your done!!
Now you want to hem the edges of your open seam on the end. Just fold you seam over and pen it and sew all the way around
 
Now get your stuffing out and measure how much you will need to go in your pillow and cut off your excess. I really need to crop theses pictures so yall don't see these mysterious feet and hands in these pics.  Hee Hee
Again with the mysterious feet
Now gently take your bed covering and pull over your stuffing your going to have to do something with your open end it's really up to you what you want to do you can sew it up you can Velcro it I cut holes in mine and tied it up with ribbons so I could take the cover off and wash it.
Here is my finished product and it only cost me $12.00 now granted it may be a king size dog bed but Alfred don't seem to mind.
 
Until Next Time
XOXO
Michelle
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alfred!!! Great job on the bed Girl!! Wish I had thought of using the ties on one edge.

    ReplyDelete